Monday 22 September 2014

Recipe: Easy Coconut bread - toddler and freezer friendly

Lately I've been on a bit of a baking binge. I'd guess that it has something to do with nesting, and something to do with knowing the bone numbing tiredness that comes with having a new baby and wanting to stave off some stress by knowing that at least my freezer has food in it. Also, one of Ellie's current great joys in life is to help with the baking - I'm not sure whether it's the pouring and mixing of ingredients, the eating of the batter when she thinks I'm not looking, or the finished product that has the appeal, but who am I to thwart her?

Coconut bread
I think this is a great recipe - it's quick, easy, freezes well and best of all, is toddler approved. Winner all around!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup self raising flour
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used raw)
  • 1 cup milk (I used a 155ml can of coconut cream and made up the extra 1/4 cup with soy milk)
Method:

  1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 170C and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
  2. Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine.
  3. Pour into pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
I told you it was easy! Eat as is, or top with butter or icing. I don't think it needs either, with the coconut cream the bread is sweet enough and doesn't need anything extra.

Notes:
  • The recipe freezes beautifully. I cut it into pieces and freeze each slice individually for ease of defrosting and future snacking.
  • You could easily make this into cupcakes as well, just adjust the baking time to suit.
  • I ran out, but if you use gluten free flour, you're ticking all the dietary bases with this recipe, which also makes it perfect to share with friends.
  • A splash of vanilla essence added would also be delicious.
Delicious, crumby and more-ish!
Inspire me! What are your freezer friendly meals/snacks?

2 comments:

  1. Just put your cake into the oven but you don't say how long to cook it! Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Did it work out? It's about 40 minutes when it's cooked as a big cake... I'll amend the recipe now

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...